On Tuesday, Apple released the first update to its flagship Mac OS X Lion 10.7 operating system. The update, which comes in three flavors, “includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability and compatibility of your Mac.” In addition, Apple is also now shipping the OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive which allows those unable to download Lion from the Mac App Store to still upgrade to Lion.
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion has been a very successful product launch for Apple and the first commercial desktop operating system release to be delivered through digital distribution rather than traditional CD or DVD media. However, some issues have cropped up for some users as expected and Apple has now released Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 Update to address some of these issues. Apple states that the update includes the following fixes:
- Address an issue that may cause the system to become unresponsive when playing a video in Safari
- Resolve an issue that may cause system audio to stop working when using HDMI or optical audio out
- Improve the reliability of Wi-Fi connections
- Resolve an issue that prevents transfer of your data, settings, and compatible applications to a new Mac running OS X Lion
Curiously, the 10.7.1 update comes in four flavors: OS X Lion Update 10.7.1 (Client), OS X Lion Update 10.7.1 (Server), OS X Lion 10.7.1 Update for MacBook Air and Mac mini 2011 (Client), and OS X Lion 10.7.1 Update for Mac mini 2011 (Server). All flavors area available through the above links for direct download or through Software Update where you will automatically get the right update for your system.
The OS X Lion 10.7.1 Update for MacBook Air and Mac mini 2011 (Client) adds to the list of fixes with:
- Resolve an issue where MacBook Air may boot up when MagSafe Adapter is attached
- Resolve an issue causing intermittent display flickering on MacBook Air
- Resolve an issue that causes the SD card slot in Mac mini to run at reduced speed with SD and SDHC media
It appears that Apple’s engineers made a mistake and also listed the MacBook Air fixes for the OS X Lion 10.7.1 Update for Mac mini 2011 (Server). We have been running the 10.7.1 update for two days and everything seems to be running smoothly. If anything, 10.7.1 seems to be a little more responsive but that may just be subjective.
If you are not able to easily download Mac OS X Lion from the Mac App Store, there is another solution for you. Apple is now shipping the OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive to allow installation of Lion directly from the USB drive. Apple also separately released the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant which allows you to create a recovery USB Thumb Drive but this method still requires downloading of Mac OS X Lion from the Mac App Store.